[Xymon] Bug in ping tests?

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Jul 18 22:42:49 CEST 2012

On 18-07-2012 22:35, Josh Luthman wrote:
> Do you mean the red status details?  Going to the host and checking this
> entry via history it says:
>
> Wed Jul 18 14:13:39 2012 conn NOT ok
> Service conn on hostshere.imaginenetworksllc.com
> <http://hostshere.imaginenetworksllc.com> is not OK : Host does not
> respond to ping
> System unreachable for 1 poll periods (0 seconds)

OK, so it did run the ping test and just didn't get an answer.

> I'm not sure if this is working or not - 0.0.0.0         .default.
> # testip
>
> Looking at the hosts 4 of them do not have testip listed, they may do
> DNS.  The remainder do not use DNS and specifically state testip.

If you have that ".default." entry at the top of the file, all of your
hosts will use the IP in the Xymon hosts-file.

You can see this on the "info" status page.

> Now one of the hosts (compass) give me an Internal Server Error for this
> one red entry.  A couple other older red events work.  Maybe a clue?

Not necessarily, it could just be that the detailed status log wasn't
saved for some reason. Older Xymon versions could run into trouble when
trying to display a status-page for which there was no logfile.

You can check in the ~hobbit/data/histlogs/HOSTNAME/conn/ directory,
there should be a logfile with a timestamp matching the history-log you
can see.

 From what you've shown here, I cannot say why those 6 systems went red.
My best guess is that your network was discarding ping's for some reason
(ICMP is low priority packets, and routers/switches are free to drop
them if the load gets too high).