[Xymon] Bug in ping tests?

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Jul 18 22:18:04 CEST 2012

On 18-07-2012 21:56, Josh Luthman wrote:
> This would be the right time:
>
>   clientdata.log
> 2012-07-18 14:19:39 Tried to down BOARDBUSY: Invalid argument
>
> history.log
> 2012-07-18 14:19:39 Tried to down BOARDBUSY: Invalid argument
> 2012-07-18 14:27:36 Will not update
> /home/hobbituser/data/hist/foohostname,imaginenetworksllc,com.bbd -
> color unchanged (green)
> #last line repeated for every host that experience this problem
>
> hobbitd.log
> 2012-07-18 14:19:49 Setup complete
>
> page.log
> 2012-07-18 14:19:39 Tried to down BOARDBUSY: Invalid argument

The "BOARDBUSY" and "Setup complete" point to Hobbit being restarted. I
noticed you did this, so that would be around that time.

The "Will not update" is normal - hobbitd_history does a sanity check
when it receives the first status update for each status, to make sure
the history-file is in sync with the current status (updates may have
been lost while Xymon was down).

In other words nothing here that would explain what you're seeing.

What reason was given in the detailed status log for the ping test
failing ? DNS lookup failure, ping timeout, ... ?