[Xymon] Adding a graph to test status view

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Mon Jan 9 00:41:24 CET 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM, Buchan Milne <bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net> wrote:
>> Yes, but what if I want graphs on only some fans and not others.
>
> Don't put the :rrd tag on the TABLE operator in the template.

Well yes that would seem to work.  But it just seems redundant to have
to list "fans" in multigraphs and then also enable it with
"TABLE:rrd()" where I want it.  Why couldn't multigraphs just be the
default for everything?  Perhaps its a performance thing?  Perhaps I'm
missing something.  I guess I'm still a bit confused by it all.  I'm
not proposing a change to the way Xymon/Devmon work, just trying to
understand how they work.

>> It's
>> really useful to be able to decide whether to have a graph, and if so,
>> the format (multi- or not), from the Devmon template that parses and
>> reports the data.
>
> Really? How do you handle the graph definitions?

By specifying "linecount" in the template.  If it's <= 0 it shows as a
multi-graph.  If it's >0, it shows several single-graphs.  If by
"graph definitions" you mean the contents of graphs.cfg, then I that's
not what I'm referring to.

> Which devmon templates have the same test name but different graphing methods?

Well, my new "fans" template that I'm developing has graphs because it
shows fan speed, but all of the standard package of templates have no
graphs for fans because most fan OIDs don't show fan speed.

>>  (Actually, Xymon adds the wrong value for "linecount" in my case, so
>> I get 3 broken if_err graphs after 9 good ones, but I'm not concerned
>> about that right now.)
>
> Well, if I saw your template modifications in a patch request on the devmon
> tracker, maybe I could take a look.

Already mentioned on the devmon-devel list.  I will submit a patch soon.