[Xymon] Setting up a Xymon proxy server

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Thu Jan 5 10:16:27 CET 2012

On Wednesday, 4 January 2012 19:54:57 Ward, Martin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am unable to find any documentation on the configuration of the hosts
> files when using xymonproxy, can you help?
>
> I have a number of clients client that have the Xymon proxy server
> configured as their Xymon server in the xymonclient.cfg file:
> XYMSRV="10.5.1.205"
>
> So they will send their status messages to the proxy server.
>
> The proxy server only has the [xymond], [xymondproxy], [xymonclient] and
> [combostatus] sections configured (do I need xymonnet and xymonnetagain?),
> this seems sensible to me.

Well, strictly 'proxy' means to only proxy reports from clients on to the
display server, but in many cases the proxy is there to reduce the firewall
access required, and typically this means that the proxy must do the network
tests as well. If so, then yes, xymonnet and xymonnetagain should be enabled.

> The proxy server also has the clients configured in its hosts.cfg file
> since it needs to know who to poll for.
>
> The question is, how do I then configure these clients in the main Xymon
> server? Do I have them in the hosts.cfg file there as well?

Yes.

> If so how do I
> stop the main Xymon server from pinging them?

In any environment with multiple instances of xymonnet, you should set the
XYMONNETWORK variable in xymonserver.cfg on each server running xymonnet, and
in hosts.cfg use the NET: tag with the value of the XYMONNETWORK variable of
the server whose xymonnet task should do network tests for it.

This allows you to use the same hosts.cfg across all your servers (otherwise
you are most likely to have diverging hosts.cfg files across your Xymon
servers, requiring manual merging and updating of multiple files etc.).

> Also, given that these
> clients are in a group, how do I get them displayed as a group in the
> Xymon web pages?

Using the normal page, group, group-compress etc. statements?

(But, IMHO, it is wrong to mix the definition of what to test with how to
present the display, it would be better to split them IMHO).

Regards,
Buchan