[Xymon] How to monitor web services

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Tue Jan 3 16:37:45 CET 2012

On Tuesday, 3 January 2012 14:59:07 Information desk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been reading about xymonnet.conf, hosts.conf, etc. but so far
> cannot get my xymon 4.2.3 to monitor URLs other than hosts on port 80.

What are you currently trying, what have you tried that does not work?

> Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to monitor:
>
> - Pages requiring http authentication

Covered in hosts.cfg(5)

> - Monitoring host aliases (other than by putting another entry in the
> hosts.conf duplicating an already monitored host)

Covered in hosts.cfg(5) I believe.

> - Monitoring SSL services

Covered in hosts.cfg(5) I believe.

> I can get hosts.conf to monitor port http servers by explicitly adding
> an http column to the row of headers- is that all one can use?

No. Did you read the 'HTTP Tests' section of the documentation for hosts.cfg?

http://www.xymon.com/xymon/help/manpages/man5/hosts.cfg.5.html#lbAR

> Maybe I
> need to set up xymonnet? Is there any info around on doing this (I can
> really only find the man page).  Perhaps it needs a guide on how to
> begin implementing it if I can't find it (?)

The man page isn't very difficult to read, have you tried?

If you don't come right, please provide a bit more detail on what you have
tried, and what the result (error message, invalid testing etc.) is.

Regards,
Buchan