[Xymon] file monitoring

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Jan 3 09:09:19 CET 2012

On 03-01-2012 08:32, Moodley, Nelandran N wrote:
> I’m trying to monitor all file (permissions) of all files in a directory
> viz:/var/adm.
>
> I have the following entries in client-local.cfg
>
> [sunos]
> log:/var/adm/%.*:10240
> log:/var/adm/messages %ERROR|CRIT COLOR=red
> log:/var/adm/messages %WARNING|NOTICE COLOR=yellow IGNORE=lpr

First, You should only use "log" for log-files, i.e. files where you
want to have the actual contents of the files sent to Xymon for
checking. If you only want to monitor file permissions, then use a
"file:" definition instead.

Second, you cannot use wild-card filenames in the client-local.cfg file.
As the man-page says:

"If  you  want to check multiple files using a wildcard, you must use a
command to generate the filenames. Putting wildcards directly into the
file: entry will not work."

So something like this should do the trick:

file:`ls /var/adm/`