[Xymon] A couple of migration questions

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Mon Dec 10 00:53:08 CET 2012

On 7 December 2012 06:57, Novosielski, Ryan <novosirj at umdnj.edu> wrote:

> 1) Do the xymonnet machines listen on the Xymon port? They seem to,
> but I can't see any reason why they should. If they didn't, I'd
> configure the xymonnet machines to use the standard port 1984 to give
> me less to do when going live.

I agree, the xymonnet process should not be listening on any port. Only the
xymond process listens on port 1984.

3) I see that xymonproxy cannot share a machine with xymond as they
> both use the same port. I assume depending on the answer to question
> 1, it can share a machine with xymonnet, right?

I would think so.

> 4) A couple of events (including the recent hurricane we had over
> here) have raised the need for a second Xymon server in cases where a
> campus will be unavailable for some time. Is using xymonproxy to
> distribute this information the way to go in a master/slave situation?

It might work just fine for some things.  But things like enable/disable on
the web GUI will need to be performed on both servers, to keep them in sync.

> Defining multiple XYMSRV's? Something else?

I have two independent Xymon servers in different locations, each
configured identically (using subversion over ssh for replicating the
configuration).  The clients are configured with $XYMSRV=0.0.0.0 and
$XYMSERVERS set to contain both server IP addresses.

There are two gotchyas with this system, both of which are easily solved.
 One is that the "display" servers must not list each other in $XYMSERVERS,
and should only list their own IP address (so as to avoid Xymon message
loops, if I remember correctly).

The other problem is that as a consequence of each display server only
listing itself, a enable/disable message doesn't get sent to both servers,
and have to be performed on both.  My fix for this is:
1) create a modifed "xymonserver.cfg" file that includes the original
"xymonserver.cfg" and then re-defines XYMSERVERS to list both servers
2) define XYMONENV_ENADIS=/path/to/xymonserver-enadis.cfg so that the
modified config file can be specified
3) define CGI_ENADIS_OPTS="--env=$XYMONENV_ENADIS" so that the CGI script
uses the modified file with both servers listed.