[Xymon] Cleaning up history logs

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Dec 4 22:03:35 CET 2012

On 04-12-2012 18:11, Michael Beatty wrote:
> What does Xymon check to determine if my history logs directory is full?

It uses the "statvfs()" function, which should return how much space is
available for unprivileged users (i.e. non-root users). Same info as a
"df" will give you. If less than 5% is free, it will stop saving history
logs.

The threshold can be changed via the --minimum-free=N option to
xymond_history.

> Obviously, there was a disk space problem, but where was it?  This is
> just a demo system so I wasn't too worried about doing such a
> destructive deletion of everything, however, if this were a production
> system I'd want to be a lot more careful as to what it is that I
> delete.  Would I just delete everything in the histlog directory that is
> >X days old?

It is safe to remove files in the histlogs and hostdata directories.
Using "trimhistory" is the recommended way of doing it.