[Xymon] Cleaning up history logs

Michael Beatty Michael.Beatty at sherwin.com
Tue Dec 4 18:11:20 CET 2012

What does Xymon check to determine if my history logs directory is full?

After several months of not paying any attention to Xymon, I dove back
in.  I found that I was getting "Historical Status Log Not Avaialable".
Some browsing around showed that if the log directory has less than 5%
disk space available, the logs will not be written.  I "df -i
/home/xymon/data/histlog" directory and it was (and still) is showing 4%
used.  Unsure what to get rid of, I deleted everything I could find in
the data directory that related to old hosts that do not exist.  After
doing so, log files were now available.

Obviously, there was a disk space problem, but where was it?  This is
just a demo system so I wasn't too worried about doing such a
destructive deletion of everything, however, if this were a production
system I'd want to be a lot more careful as to what it is that I
delete.  Would I just delete everything in the histlog directory that is

--
Michael Beatty
Sherwin-Williams
michael.beatty at sherwin.com