[Xymon] xymon.com and the mailinglists back online

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Aug 28 13:30:22 CEST 2012

On 27-08-2012 17:19, Henrik Størner wrote:
> the xymon.com server had a minor disk "hiccup" last Saturday.
> Unfortunately, this triggered a kernel panic and things went pretty bad
> after that - eventually causing the whole server to die last Monday Aug.
> 20th.

Turns out it was more than just a hiccup - I was bitten by a firmware
bug in my Crucial M4 SSD disk
http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Firmware-Update-Notifications/m-p/80282#M24370

"an incorrect response to a SMART counter will cause the m4 drive to
become unresponsive after 5184 hours of Power-on time. The drive will
recover after a power cycle, however, this failure will repeat once per
hour after reaching this point."

If any of you have Crucial M4 SSD disks in use, I'd recommend checking
the firmware version ASAP - it must be version 0309 or 000F. "smartctl
-a" on Linux can tell you.