[Xymon] Possible Solution to "Segmentation fault" error and failure to load "Info pages"

Don Kuhlman Don.Kuhlman at schawk.com
Tue Aug 7 20:47:54 CEST 2012

Hi folks. Just wanted to share something I discovered today on our XYMON 4.3.7 configuration.

Yesterday, I was working to clean up email alerts coming to teams from our server.
I modified the alerts.cfg file
Added a Macro definition = MAC_SRMDK = script/home/xymon/server/ext/html_mail.pl myemail at company.com FORMAT=TEXT

After doing this, and some other changes, I went to the xymon pages and clicked the Info button but then started getting a msg like this:

Internal Server Error

Please contact the server administrator, root at localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

After checking the /var/log/httpd/error_log file, I saw this:

[Tue Aug 07 13:35:19 2012] [error] [client 1.1.x.x] Premature end of script headers: svcstatus.sh, referer: http://xymonserver.company.com/xymon/#servername

When trying to run the xymond_alert —test hostname cpu

This returned:  "Segmentation fault"

It turned out that among my changes to alerts.cfg, I left the space " " from between mac_srmdk=script and home/xymon….
So the missing space was causing all this grief and I didn't catch it till I took a long look at the file.

Once I put the " " space between the =script /home/xymon…
And the script file, it cleared all the errors up.
It may be obvious to others, but I was surprised to see a lot of posts in my google searches about these messages, so I thought I would share just in case it happens to anyone else and they can trace it to a simple typo on the cfg file.