[Xymon] OverSize status message and network tests

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Aug 1 02:37:19 CEST 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 1:47 AM, Joseph Acquisto <joea at j4computers.com>wrote:

> Recently moved to xymon 4.3.7 from hobbit 4.2
>
> All seems reasonable except for two things.
>
> - Due to firewall issues, some net tests do not work.

Which net tests work and which don't work?  Do the working tests also come
from the default IP address?

>  I can see tcpdump tell me the source is still the original for the new
> server.   ??

Try running the xymonnet command from the command-line with the
"--no-update" switch, perhaps specifying a stripped-down hosts.cfg with
only one host and test that is failing.  For example:

sudo -u xymon xymoncmd
echo "10.1.1.1 name-of-host # ssh" $HOSTSCFG > /tmp/hosts.cfg
HOSTSCFG=/tmp/hosts.cfg xymonnet --report --noping \
  --no-update --source-ip=10.2.2.2

See how you go.  If this works, then perhaps there's something wrong with
how it's configured in tasks.cfg.

If it doesn't work, use strace (Linux) or truss (Solaris) and look for the
"bind" system call:

HOSTSCFG=/tmp/hosts.cfg strace -f xymonnet --report --noping \
  --no-update --source-ip=10.2.2.2 2>&1 | grep bind

Output looks like:
bind(3, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(0),
sin_addr=inet_addr("10.2.2.2")}, 16) = 0