[Xymon] SNMP Polling Support

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Sep 8 22:23:41 CEST 2011

On 08-09-2011 18:25, Dan Smith wrote:

> Two things
> 1) Does anyone know what the xymon-snmpcollect code is for?

Yes, I wrote the code so I would know ...

> 2) If it is either not used now or not ready for "prime time", it might
> be a good idea to put a comment in the code or add something to the web
> site that says that it's not available.

It is part of the distribution (although you could argue it shouldn't
be), because Xymon is "my" tool. So sometimes I add stuff which I use,
but where the design might not be entirely thought through. Meaning
things may change and I may break stuff, so I don't want too many people
relying on it working in any specific way.

xymon-snmpcollect is such a tool. It was written because I needed
something to collect traffic statistics from a lot of switches, and I
was worried if devmon could handle the load. It turns out that the
approach I took when writing xymon-snmpcollect wasn't very good - it
collects far too much data, and it is problematic pushing such large
messages into Xymon. So the design of that tool should be thought
through again, and maybe I should just give up on it and figure out how
to use devmon for the job.