[Xymon] Limit network interfaces trending

Colin Coe colin.coe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 02:49:50 CEST 2011

Hi all

Around six months ago I was looking at limiting the number of network
interfaces being trended on my RHEL hypervisors.  These boxes have a
number of bridges and interfaces.

I'd like to see an option in the hosts.cfg file similar to

x.y.z.133  hman          # conn ssh TRENDS:*,disk,vmstat:vmstat1
DEVMON:model(compaq;servernohspare)
x.y.z.134  hyper1        # conn ssh
TRENDS:*,disk,vmstat:vmstat1DEVMON:model(compaq;servernohspare)
INTERFACES:rhevm,eth9
x.y.z.135  hyper2        # conn ssh TRENDS:*,disk,vmstat:vmstat1
DEVMON:model(compaq;servernohspare) INTERFACES:rhevm,eth6

So the above would limit the interfaces being trended for hyper1 to
just the rhevm bridge and the eth9 interface, and just the rhevm
bridge and eth6 interface for hyper2.  hman would continue to trend
all interfaces as per normal.

My motivation for this is so that I don't have to keep track of which
hosts have custom xymonclient-linux.sh files.

I'm running xymon 4.3.5.

Henrik, is this feasible/possible?  Looking at the source I see
xymond/rrd/do_ifstat.c defines ifstat_linux_exprs as a static const.
---
/* eth0   Link encap:                                                 */
/*        RX bytes: 1829192 (265.8 MiB)  TX bytes: 1827320 (187.7 MiB */
static const char *ifstat_linux_exprs[] = {
        "^([a-z]+[0123456789.:]+|lo)\\s",
        "^\\s+RX bytes:([0-9]+) .*TX bytes.([0-9]+) "
};
---
My C fu is weak but I think this means that the regex defining
acceptable interface names can't be changed.  If I'm right, then I'm
thinking that implementing this would be non-trivial.

Comments?

Thanks

CC

--