[Xymon] Xymon vs Solarwinds

T.J. Yang tjyang2001 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 11:41:50 CEST 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 7:26 PM, Gore, David W (David)
<david.gore at verizon.com> wrote:
> Yeah the list of companies has already been done and perhaps it needs an update.
It can be updated by anyone any time.
>TJ weren't you the one maintaining that list?

I started it up and ran away after doing many "copy and paste" for a while ;)
But seriously that list can be updated by anyone. It is just not well-known.

> Anyway I keep hearing the reasons people give for not using open source but I would think people would make the argument simple, cost.  I or we may have to fight the same battle some day with some people using Patrol.  To me it is simple, Patrol costs a bunch of money and has been less than stellar on consuming resources and is way less flexible.
>
> I would think anyone that anyone that uses buyware should have a strong argument on why the buyware is worth the cost and better than the opensource solution.

As I won my case by cost plus freedom factor, please be careful you
need to let your management know by doing xymon(or any other
opensource), in-house resource need to be allocated to support xymon.
The support responsibility range from writing scripts, understand
xymon , resolving bugs, compile/packaging xymon ... etc.

Regards

tj

T.J. Yang