[Xymon] Xymon vs Solarwinds

Phil Crooker Phil.Crooker at orix.com.au
Fri Oct 21 00:47:14 CEST 2011

My two bits:

It is pretty difficult to alter someone's perceptions (of open source)
if they have strong opinions. And when their executive buddies are
adding peer pressure and sales reps take them out to lunch and schmooz.
But like others said, there are large companies using it. The program
really is very professionally done, you just need to know what you are
doing to manage it and get the most out of it.

Anyway, don't know solarwinds (what a name) but I do know a little
about snmp-based systems - they can require a lot more work than xymon.
Especially when you want something outside of their canned system and
you have to stuff around with the MIBs - it really depends on how
inclusive their system is. Plus, poor security with snmp - not that
xymon is too good either, but you can dress xymon up in secure clothing
if you really have to.

The HUGE advantage with xymon is you can monitor *anything*, provided
it has some sort of comms, but all monitoring systems require this. You
can customise it so that you monitor exactly what you need. And not be
bothered by superfluous alarms. Even our dyed-in-the-wool windows guy
likes it.

A suggestion generally - how about creating a list of companies using
xymon in production on the xymon website. I'm happy to collate.

cheers, Phil

>>> On 20/10/2011 at 2:17 PM, in message
<CAGo4kcZVXBg0C+ZvOEAV5FWgda_TW1No8U2Z2bNEV8kf5iua7w at mail.gmail.com>,
Vernon
Everett <everett.vernon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I have a client that dislikes open source software. They feel it's
"out of
> control", there's no support, and no backup.
> They prefer something where they can get "professional" support, and
> licensed software and all the crap we have all heard before.
> Somebody at the top, decided that SolarWinds is the corporate
standard.
> From what I have read, it's SNMP based, so great for network, and
stuff
> running SNMP, but not so good for anything else.
>
> Has anybody had any hands-on experience with both Solarwinds and
Xymon, who