[Xymon] Xymon vs Solarwinds

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 05:17:25 CEST 2011

Hi guys

I have a client that dislikes open source software. They feel it's "out of
control", there's no support, and no backup.
They prefer something where they can get "professional" support, and
licensed software and all the crap we have all heard before.
Somebody at the top, decided that SolarWinds is the corporate standard.
>From what I have read, it's SNMP based, so great for network, and stuff
running SNMP, but not so good for anything else.

Has anybody had any hands-on experience with both Solarwinds and Xymon, who
can give me a short breakdown of the advantages and disadvantages of
Solarwinds compared to Xymon?

Regards
    Vernon