[Xymon] nosslcert tag not doing what I thought it did

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Oct 13 22:43:00 CEST 2011

> I have a need to do a content test on an https url on a dev server
> that has self signed certificates. The customer just wants Xymon to
> get through to the first page and check the content without having to
> mess with the certificate. I thought putting nosslcert on that host
> would do the trick, but I couldn't see that it changed anything on
> the resulting page.
>
> nosslcert turned the sslcert icon purple, but it didn't change the
> behavior of the content test.

"nosslcert" means Xymon won't update an "sslcert" status. But since you
have one, it will turn purple. Use the "drop" command to delete the status.

> We want to be able to skip the ssl warning and the need to click to
> proceed to the page. Apparently curl, wget and nagios all have
> options to do this (although I haven't actually tested that on
> nagios) so I'd be surprised if Xymon doesn't.

Xymon doesn't care about who issues your certificates. So that isn't
your problem. What I think is the problem, is that Xymon will *only*
fetch the page on the URI that you provide. It will not follow a
redirect, not even a simple one like "http://www.foo.org/" redirecting
to "http://www.foo.org/logon.html" - if you want to check the logon
page, you'll have to provide that URL explicitly in hosts.cfg.