[Xymon] Xymon Digest, Vol 10, Issue 16

Steff Watkins s.watkins at nhm.ac.uk
Fri Nov 18 12:19:18 CET 2011

> Hi all,
>
> I've got a requirement to take a specific action on a unix server
should we get a specific message in a log file.

> I'm not sure this is even possible in Xymon and I suspect I'll have to
try and work out some way of doing it with a script.

> Perhaps an external script that will somehow check for the  message,
run the relevant command to fix it and report a warning
> alert so that we know it has happened.
>
> If there is some better way of doing it through Xymon I'd really like
to know how.

Hi Neil,

 the Xymon setup I run currently monitors over 140 systems and the
server sits on a linux box. If you go poking around the data/ directory
you'll find all the gathered information from all the monitored systems.

One of my scripts is currently monitoring the process list output of two
different servers for the presence of a certain process. If the process
is running on either of the systems then that is fine, report green. If
the process is running on both systems OR it is not running on either
system then that is bad, report red.

Extending the functionality of Xymon using system scripts makes it just
that much more useful, I think.

This script is run by xymon, and the setup for it is done in the
server/etc/tasks.cfg file , more info from
http://www.xymon.com/xymon/help/manpages/man5/tasks.cfg.5.html

You could also be able to run the scripts under cron, but then you would
also have be careful that any files/datamanipulated by the script was
done in a way that the xymon processes could still access it.

Good luck,
Steff Watkins
-----