[Xymon] Windows PS client svcs data missing

David Baldwin david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au
Thu May 12 01:41:03 CEST 2011

Scot,

> David,
>

> I was able to catch a system this afternoon that wasn't reporting
> services.  I get this back when running the get-wmiobject command:
>

> PS C:\> Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Service
>
> Get-WmiObject :
>
> At line:1 char:14
>
> + Get-WmiObject <<<<  -Class Win32_Service
>
>     + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-WmiObject],
> COMException
>
>     + FullyQualifiedErrorId :
> GetWMICOMException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetWmiObjectCommand

Looks like it's a problem with your system.

> One other thing… I noticed that whenever the PS client runs it takes
> the CPU up to 100% for 5-15 seconds or so on many of the systems it's
> installed on.  I'm already getting push back from other systems admins
> because of that.  I imagine many people will be complaining about it
> sooner or later, that's kind of a bad thing.  J
>

> Off to Google that…

I don't have a lot of experience with WMI, but it seems like it can be a
pretty heavyweight way to get fairly trivial information. There may be
some tuning or checks that can be done to make sure it's running as best
it can, but a google search or others be able to give better advice than I.

It would also pay to watch the memory footprint of the client long-term.
I've tried to do as much preemptive garbage collection as I can, but I'm
not convinced there aren't leaks, especially interfacing with COM
objects, which given the error above makes WMI a big candidate. I
wouldn't be surprised if some of the WMI data could be gained by
alternative means such as poking about in the registry, but I don't have
time to investigate at present.

David.