[Xymon] Help with new graph and rrd file

Taylor Lewick tlewick at tradebotsystems.com
Tue May 3 17:39:33 CEST 2011

I have a problem where I've set up a new graph definition, but the rrd file is not being generated.  I'm running xymon 4.3.0.0-beta2, so it still uses the old hobbit file names in most places.

I am comparing ntp vs ptp on a few servers.

We've had the ntp setup for some time, and have been graphing that in the usual way in xymon.  I setup the ptp graphs in the same way.  Also, verified via bbcmd hobbit_channel -channel=status hobbit_capture -tests=ptp that the data is coming through.

The only difference in setup is the ntp information is obtained from a script running on the xymon display server that queries each client while the ptp data is sent to the xymon server from a script running on each client.  So push vs pull...

Below are the relevant config file entries, again, ntp graphs work great, when I click on the ptp graph I get "opening ptp.rrd": No such file or directory

hobbitserver.cfg
TEST2RRD="cpu=la,disk... ntp=ncv,ptp=ncv"
GRAPHS="la,disk.... ntp,ptp"

NCV_ntp="Offset:GAUGE,*:NONE"
NCV_ptp="Offset:GAUGE,*:NONE"

Hobbitgraph.cfg
[ntp]
    TITLE NTP accuracy
    YAXIS Offset (ms)
    DEF:offset=ntp.rrd:Offset:AVERAGE
    LINE2:offset#FF0000:Offset (ms)
    COMMENT:\n
    GPRINT:offset:LAST: \: %6.3lf ms (cur)\n
    GPRINT:offset:MAX: \: %6.3lf ms (max)\n
    GPRINT:offset:MIN: \: %6.3lf ms (min)\n
    GPRINT:offset:AVERAGE: \: %6.3lf ms (avg)\n

[ptp]
    TITLE PTP accuracy
    YAXIS Offset (us)
    DEF:offset=ptp.rrd:offset_Mean:AVERAGE
    LINE2:offset#FF0000:Offset (us)
    COMMENT:\n
    GPRINT:offset:LAST: \: %6.3lf us (cur)\n
    GPRINT:offset:MAX: \: %6.3lf us (max)\n
    GPRINT:offset:MIN: \: %6.3lf us (min)\n
    GPRINT:offset:AVERAGE: \: %6.3lf us (avg)\n

Any help in determining why xymon is not creating a ptp.rrd file would be appreciated.