[Xymon] advice/Best Practices for hobbit-clients.cfg

Taylor Lewick tlewick at tradebotsystems.com
Mon May 2 22:08:31 CEST 2011

We monitor several hundred Linux/Windows hosts roughly 50/50 split.

We use regular expressions with the PAGE=, and this works because we organize our pages by location, then by windows or linux servers, or other categories such as power, storage, network, etc

For example:
PAGE=%.*-Win.* EXHOST=hosta,hostb,etc
PAGE=%.*-Lin.* EXHOST=host123,host234,etc

Works for PROC, LOG, LOAD, etc, and you can make the stuff inside the regex more or less restrictive/specific as needed.  Our entire config file is about 50 or 60 lines, including the default section.