[Xymon] xymon 4.3.0-RC1 Oversize notes/user msg

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Mar 14 07:41:21 CET 2011

> >  > can someone inform me how to increase the limit of this value?
> >  > I thought it was by updating this value MAXMSG_NOTES
> >
> > That's the one. Note that you need to restart Xymon for this to take effect.
 >
> I did adjust that value and restarted xymon, I even restarted the xymon
> vm itself with no luck.

Looking at your original error message, I just noticed that it said

 > Oversize notes/user msg ... (n=198957, limit=131072)

So the current limit is 131072 bytes = 128 kB. Now, the default value
for MAXMSG_NOTES is 256 kB, so unless you lowered that it doesn't
make sense.

However, the 'user' channel is 128 kB by default. So it's probably that
one that needs changing. So add a

    MAXMSG_USER=256

to xymonserver.cfg and see if that helps.

The error message should be clearer about which parameter to tweak, and
MAXMSG_USER isn't documented in the man-page. I'll see about fixing that.