[Xymon] how to split xymon display and xymon network test servers

Steve Holmes sholmes42 at mac.com
Wed Mar 9 17:36:53 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Henrik Størner <henrik at hswn.dk> wrote:

> Den 08-03-2011 19:33, Steve Holmes skrev:
>
>  I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that after all this time using Xymon
>> (and Hobbit and BB before that) I did not realize until today that Xymon
>> does not use the keywords BBDISPLAY, BBNET and BBPAGER. So, now I have a
>> need to split BBNET from the others and have been looking at the email
>> archives and man pages but have found no explanation of how to do it.
>>
>> Note I'm still on Xymon 4.2.3.
>>

> Setup the server as a normal Xymon server, then disable all tasks in
> tasks.cfg / hobbitlaunch.cfg except the network test.
>
> Note that by default it has a "NEEDS hobbitd" setting - you must remove
> this when you disable the "hobbitd" task, or the network tests won't run.
>
> And of course, configure your Xymon server in xymonserver.cfg /
> hobbitserver.cfg .
>

> Regards,
> Henrik

Thanks Ralph and Henrik. It is almost working. I have made all the changes
you have suggested and the only problem left is that the main display
server, which is also the network tester for most clients, is still trying
to ping the hosts in the BBLOCATION which have a NET:zone tag on the
bb-hosts line. So the conn test is cycling from green (when tested from
within the zone) to red (when tested from the public side. Shouldn't the
display server not try to ping (or ssh, telnet, etc.) any of the hosts with
a NET: tag? Or does the display server also need a BBLOCATION set for it
(say 'public')? But then I would have to add NET:public to all of the other
clients, right?

Thanks,
Steve
--
The test of a democracy is not the magnificence of buildings or the speed of
automobiles or the efficiency of air transportation, but rather the care

Truth never damages a cause that is just. -Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
(1869-1948)