[Xymon] Issue with the hardware monitoring.

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Thu Jun 23 16:41:58 CEST 2011

On Thursday, 23 June 2011 09:09:40 Katragadda, Srinivas wrote:
> The same template is in use for several thousands of network devices and
> servers.

You should not be using the same template for network devices and servers ...
they all support different MIBs/OIDs.

> Will explain issue in detail.
>
> We have planned to monitor the H/W of the servers, configured correct
> community string, and configured the SNMP service on the servers. And we
> have installed the appropriate agents software like DELL OPEN MANAGE,HP
> INSIGHT MANAGER and IBM DIRECTOR PLATFORM.
>
> These are working fine for few servers, and majority of them are not
> working. All the servers are windows 2003 boxes.
>
> Bad thing is that, we are not getting any errors, other than repeatedly
> missing " the primary OID".

But, in this case, you would definitely get more useful information in the log
file if you increased the verbosity, which would help to identify the problem.

For example, on problem experienced with the compaq-server template is that
the SNMP table is incomplete in the case of no hot spare being configured on
the server, which means some requests fail, and devmon determines that the
host is not responding correctly, and all the other tests go 'clear'. This can
be worked around by using the compaq-servernohspare template, but is (I think)
fixed better in the current svn version (where "failed" OIDs which returned no
error message are not treated as failures).

But, you really seem to not want to help us to address your problem. After two
requests from me to provide the log files after increasing the verbosity, for
the models which are giving problems, which templates you are using on these
hosts, you have failed to provide this information.

I can only assume you aren't really committed to resolving this.

Regards,
Buchan