[Xymon] Green status during a total blackout

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 08:00:44 CEST 2011

When you had the outage, did your Xymon server go down too?
If it did, then what you are seeing makes sense.

Xymon looks for status changes.
If everything went down, including Xymon, then it would never have
received any messages, nor been able to perform any other tests, like
ping etc.

I am guessing that when power was restored, you brought up all your
other servers first, and then started Xymon.
Or they all started up around the same time.

When it came back up, it would have assigned the last known status to
each server.
Last known status of all servers was green. At this point, all pings
and other tests would return green, so there is no status change to
report. So no errors.
(At worst, I would expect your CPU columns to go yellow, for an hour,
with the "Machine recently rebooted" message)

The only way to prevent this in future is to make sure your Xymon
server is on a UPS.
Better still, on a different UPS to the rest of your kit.
That way, it will stay up, and happily report that everything else had
gone to hell in a handbasket.

If your manager nees it, you can probably get an idea of the start-end
time of the outage from your messages files and other logs.
They will all indicate a boot message at around the time of the power recovery.
By checking the last timestamp before the recovery, will give you an
idea of the outage start time.
Check a few servers, the latest possible value is the correct one.

The root cause of your issue, or rather the lack of issue, is that
Xymon never recieved any reports of problems. Because it couldn't.

Hope that helps.

Regards
     Vernon