[xymon] on call rotation

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Jan 31 11:53:23 CET 2011

In <DB352625B11C7B449262DE382AD536C539A3C0C68D at maserati.cars.ad> Kenneth Falor <kenneth.falor at fcer.com> writes:

>Greetings, my company has a 5 person on call rotation that we just started.=
> Up to now only 1 person was paged if something went down, I would like to =
>modify xymon to allow it to change who is emailed/paged based on the week a=
>nd who is on call that week.  Is this possible?

It's not built into Xymon, but fairly trivial to do with some creative
configuration of the alerts.cfg (hobbit-alerts.cfg in current versions).

Your alert configuration probably has

  HOST=blabla
     MAIL joe at example.com

So poor Joe gets all the alerts. Instead, I would do this:

  include oncall.cfg

  HOST=blabla
     MAIL $ONCALL

and in the oncall.cfg I would put

  $ONCALL=joe at example.com

Then you can update the oncall.cfg file when the on-call person
changes - via cron, manually, or via some basic script/webpage
that you setup. Xymon will automatically pick up when the file
changes.