[xymon] Compling on a mybook world NAS

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Jan 7 13:03:17 CET 2011

In <AANLkTimg31oZsop96O3m5Kruu80XTuPPc1tG6STgz77A at mail.gmail.com> Simon Lenz <lenz.simon at googlemail.com> writes:

>I'm trying to compile xymon for several days on my mybookWorld white line
>NAS

>I tried the stable version and the newest beta of xymon, but everytime the
>configuration script fails.

>As you can see(in the following paste), the normal configure script doesn't
>accept the command line parameters for the pcre and rrdtool folders, so i
>use the configure.server script directly.

>http://paste2.org/p/1179839

The problem here is that some of the standard Unix commands apparently
do not work on your system. If you look at the output on lines 81-83:

   Checking for RRDtool ...
   ./configure.server: build/rrd.sh: 120: tr: not found
   Makefile.test-rrd:1: Makefile.: No such file or directory

That "tr: not found" means that the "tr" command doesn't exist. That
is such a basic Unix command that the configure script assumes it is
present, and doesn't check whether that is indeed the case.

In fact, the GNU version of "tr" is part of the "core-utils" package.
You generally cannot have a Unix system without this utility.

The effect of this is that the configure script cannot generate the
test-utility it uses to determine if RRDtool is installed, and hence
it aborts with the error you see. So it's not a problem with your
rrdtool installation, it is a case of some basic Unix commands that
are missing.