hobbit-alerts.cfg and where's the needle

Steve Holmes sholmes42 at mac.com
Mon Jan 3 22:39:20 CET 2011

Is there any way to find out exactly where a recipient is being picked up to
be alerted for a specific host?
I.e. (on Xymon 4.2.3) I have 2 recipients for all tests on a pair of hosts
and there should be only one. They are windows application servers and both
the app admins and unix admins are getting the alerts. The info pages for
both hosts on that page show both groups as recipients. I've scoured the
hobbit-alerts.cfg file and I can NOT see any way the unix admin group should
be included as a recipient for either of the hosts on the page in question,
nor for either of the individual hosts.

What I'm looking for is a tool that will read the hobbit-alerts.cfg file and
take args like a host name and recipient, and return an explanation of how
the results are compiled, in particular, which config line or lines would
result in a specific recipient being included. I know this is highly
unlikely to exist, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks!
Steve
Purdue University/ITSO