bb-hosts:group, hobbit-alerts:GROUP, bb-hosts:CLASS questions

SebA spa at syntec.co.uk
Mon Feb 14 16:41:37 CET 2011

 Hi,

I was looking for a way of sending alerts based on bb-hosts:group and could
not find a way.  Is there no way of doing this?  The nearest thing I could
find was this e-mail below (which implies it is possible, but my debug tests
suggest it does not work), but I could not find a follow-up to this e-mail.
Alerts based on bb-hosts group and CLASS seem like a good idea...  Or a way
of designating network tests as belonging to a certain GROUP.  (Lower-case
"group" refers to the existing directive in bb-hosts (hosts.cfg), while
upper-case GROUP refers to the hobbit-alerts (alerts.cfg) and hobbit-clients
(analysis.cfg) setting.)  e.g.
myIP    myHost    # ftp[:port[:s]][@ipaddress][=GROUP]
To be honest, I think either alerting by CLASS or bb-hosts:group would
suffice, or in this particular case, I could move these hosts to their own
page because there are a fair number.  But I have other smaller
groups/classes where their own page would be overkill...

Anyway, I'm looking for a good way to set-up alerts for network-tests on
particular classes of servers...  Is my best bet just to create a macro in
alerts.cfg with all the hostnames I need?  (And to remember to update it.)

Kind regards,

SebA