[xymon] Bug tracker; triage?

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Sat Feb 5 11:40:23 CET 2011

In <AANLkTikWQAEt8chNwuo2VaQg8+e4ZUy20+_w3WysF_=J at mail.gmail.com> Mark Robson <markxr at gmail.com> writes:

>There are a number of bugs in the Sourceforge bug tracker, is anybody
>looking at them? Does anyone triage bugs?

To be honest, I must admit I haven't looked at it for quite some time.
Forgot about it, really.

>There are also a lot of bugs mentioned on this mailing list, or a long time
>ago, which aren't in sourceforge.

Going through the mailing list looking for bug-reports takes a long time.
I have more or less counted upon people to test the current 4.3.0 betas,
and report again if bugs are still present. Not the most user-friendly
way to do things, I agree, but it's the only one that works currently.

>Are we going to use SF for this purpose?

There are pros and cons to having a formal bug-tracking system. On the
pro side, it means that bugs are registered centrally so they are more
difficult to forget. On the con side, it means there is a repository
that is separate from the usual support channel - the mailing list -
that I have to check for bug reports. Communicating with people reporting
bugs via the bugtracker is also a bit more bothersome than the normal
mailinglist traffic.

As long as there is effectively only one person doing the support and
bug hunting - yours truly - I don't see any real advantage in using
the SF bugtracker.

>I'd really like to contribute something to Xymon - I think it's really good
>- and want to understand how it's managed.

Hope this gives you an idea :-) It can be made better, surely, so any
help you can provide is welcome.