[Xymon] Alert.cfg PAGE directive

Roland Soderstrom Rolands at logicaltech.com.au
Tue Dec 27 22:58:34 CET 2011

Hi,

Setting up alerts for the OPS, so I added these lines to alert.cfg

$OPSHOSTS=&(host1|host2|host3|host4|host5)
HOST=$OPSHOSTS PAGE=OPS
            SCRIPT /usr/local/xymon/server/ext/html_mail.pl ops at example.com<mailto:ops at example.com> FORMAT=PLAIN REPEAT=900 RECOVERED

We have many hosts but the OPS just monitor the PRODUCTION ones.
And they also got just a subset of tests.
This page is defined in hosts.cfg
page OPS OPS
group-only cluster|app_test|oracle_test|conn|cpu|disk|procs Production
10.0.0.1      host1
10.0.0.2      host2
10.0.0.3      host3
10.0.0.4      host4
10.0.0.5      host5

This seems to work quite well except that the alert.cfg PAGE=OPS alerts on any alert on any of the hosts on that page.
It doesn't alert on other hosts so that works.
ex. They get alerts on msg but that is not defined as a test in the group-only directive on the OPS page.
It confuses them a lot because they get an alert mail but their page is still green...

I thought PAGE should only alert on the group-only tests defined in hosts.cfg.
Is this a bug or feature?

-      Roland

Ps. Henrik there is a typo in alerts.cfg on line 70
                    hobbit-clients.cfg configuration