[Xymon] XYMON - corrective measures?

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Dec 23 23:05:57 CET 2011

On 23-12-2011 22:57, Tom S wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> So this will work?: (example in alerts.cfg)
> HOST=www.foo.com <http://www.foo.com> SERVICE=http
> MAIL cio at foo.com <mailto:cio at foo.com> DURATION>2 COLOR=red
> SCRIPT /usr/local/bin/restartapache.sh

Check the alerts.cfg man-page, you need a "recipient" on the SCRIPT
command - if you don't use it, just put dummy text after the command.

> and in restartapache.sh I would have the following:
> #/bin/bash
> ssh xymon at web1-server 'sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart'
> exit
> (considering xymon is in the sudoers list)
>
> How can I make sure that the 'SCRIPT /usr/local/bin/restartapache.sh' is
> only run once per alert in case of network issues (connecting to port
> 80) it doesn't keep trying to ssh and restarting the server every few
> minutes?

Use REPEAT to limit it to e.g. once every 24 hours. Note that the
repeat-setting gets reset once the alert clears, so it will work OK even
if the server goes down at 10 AM, comes back up, and then goes down
again at 7 PM; in both cases the script will be called.