[Xymon] How to confirm data from client is making it to Xymon server?

Smith, Jim JMSmith at stvincenthealth.com
Sun Aug 14 21:19:42 CEST 2011

Greetings!

I used to be fairly active on this list, but I'm still using Hobbit 4.2.0.  As my father always told me, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!".  I still follow that policy even in my ripe old age of 50+.  I first installed "Big Brother" in 2002 and later upgraded to Hobbit after Quest Software bought them out.

However, I have hit a snag that I've been trying to figure out for weeks.  I have a custom script that monitors an application known variously as "datagate, egate or jcaps".  I have been using this script at my "home base" hospital for years, and I am attempting to set it up on a corporate server that is a lot busier than my base server.

My base server has only one "schema" as we refer to the logical grouping of components, but the corporate server I'm trying to set up has fourteen.  I'm pretty sure that my Unix shell script is operating properly.  I have checked it nine ways from Sunday!  But two or three of the "schemas" consistently go purple.

I'm at my wits' end about this!  Is there anyway to check to make sure that the data is received in the Hobbit server?  And if it IS being received, are there error logs that would indicate why it didn't post?

I've been all over the place on this one.  I'm a Unix admin, but this one is eating my lunch.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Jim Smith
SVHS
Little Rock

The information contained in this message is privileged
and confidential information intended for the review and
use of the individual and entity named above. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this communication or the
information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this communication in error, please
immediately notify us.