[Xymon] httpstatus inconsistency

Troy Adams troy at athabascau.ca
Tue Aug 9 18:45:20 CEST 2011

Henrik> I assume the both monitor3 and monitor5 are running the network tests
Henrik> (the [xymonnet] task), and they are the same version?

Yes to both questions:

[xymon at monitor5 ~]$ server/bin/xymoncmd xymonnet --version
2011-08-09 10:28:49 Using default environment file /home/xymon/server/etc/xymonserver.cfg
xymonnet version 4.3.2
SSL library : OpenSSL 0.9.8e-rhel5 01 Jul 2008
LDAP library: OpenLDAP 20343

[xymon at monitor5 ~]$

[xymon at monitor3 ~]$ server/bin/xymoncmd xymonnet --version
2011-08-09 10:27:51 Using default environment file /home/xymon/server/etc/xymonserver.cfg
xymonnet version 4.3.2
SSL library : OpenSSL 0.9.8e-rhel5 01 Jul 2008
LDAP library: OpenLDAP 20343

[xymon at monitor3 ~]$

Henrik> Could you provide the output from running
Henrik>
Henrik> xymoncmd xymonnet --no-update --debug camilla
Henrik>
Henrik> on the two Xymon servers when it fails ?

Yes, I set up a test host (tesla) to simulate the problem (delay + bad HTTP status) that I had with the production host (camilla) and ran:

[xymon at monitor3 ~]$ server/bin/xymoncmd xymonnet --no-update --debug tesla

...on both monitoring servers and attached the results and the '/home/xymon/data/hist/tesla' contents.

The hosts.cfg entries are:

192.168.0.2 tesla # ssh http://tesla httpstatus=dbB;http://tesla/cgi/dbB.pl;200; httpstatus=dbC;http://tesla/cgi/dbC.pl;200;

The only difference that I know of between the monitoring servers is that monitor5 has an 'analysis.cfg' with:

HOST=tesla
DS http %.*http.*:sec >0.660 COLOR=yellow TEXT="Time exceeds &U at &V seconds."

With the above monitor5:analysis.cfg directive; the status is reported as yellow; without it is reported as red.

It looks like the analysis.cfg entry causes Xymon to mask the red with the yellow.

Any help understanding this would be appreciated.

- Troy