[Xymon] Spikes in activity.

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Sun Aug 7 17:50:28 CEST 2011

On 21-07-2011 15:51, Neil Simmonds wrote:

> I’ve looked through the documentation for Xymon and I can’t seem to find
> any way to only have an icon colour change if a threshold has been
> passed for x number of consecutive tests.
>
> I’m aware that alerts allow this kind of thing but would really like the
> dashboard not to change colour if we just get a spike in disk, cpu or
> memory usage (amongst other things).
>
> Is there any way to do this?

It's been possible for network tests for many years, but that was really
a kludge on top of the old Big Brother system.

So your mail provided an excellent excuse for getting this implemented
in a generic fashion (so I can deprecate the old network-test-specific
method).

The attached patch implements two new settings you can put into
hosts.cfg: "delayred" and "delayyellow". So to have the "cpu" status not
go red until after 15 minutes and disk status not go red until after
half an hour, you would use this:

  10.0.0.1 host1.example.com # delayred=cpu:15,disk:30

Patch applies against 4.3.4 - older versions will need some manual
tweaking to make it into the xymond.c file. Or wait for 4.3.5.