[Xymon] bb: Argument list too large long

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Apr 29 23:01:40 CEST 2011

> When trying to send a simple status message to hobbit (yes still at that
> level) , along the line of : /path_to_bb/bb my_hobbit_host "status+1d
> page.subpage green `date` `cat /somefile`"
>
> "somefile" is rather large, some 428k and I can confirm it works fine if
> I make "somefile" much smaller.

Sounds like a shell limitation on the commandline length.

Use the '@' and feed the input to "bb" via stdin instead of the
commandline. Like this:

(echo "status+1d page.subpage green `date`"; cat somefile) | \
$BB $BBDISP "@"

Or if you're using the 4.3.x version of the "xymon" utility:

cat somefile | \
    xymon --merge my_xymon_server "status+1d page.subpage green `date`"