[Xymon] Xymon 4.3.2 released

henrik at hswn.dk henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Apr 7 13:33:37 CEST 2011

Hi Nick,

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 13:22:21 -0400, Nick Camaldi
<willowbrookmagic at hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> I inherited the Xymon Server from a former employee, who was using 4.3.0
> beta2
> he had the installation in /opt/admin/xymon/linux/4.3.0-beta2/
> The questions i have is this, I want to make sure i don't mess this up

please post this question to the mailing list - there are a lot more
people there who can help with this. I've taken the liberty of cc'ing the
mailing list here.

My quick answer would be:

0) Use a test system - Virtualbox and VMware Player are free, and let you
setup a dedicated system for testing the new Xymon version without having
to install new hardware.
1) Install the new Xymon version into a new directory. Dont bother with
how the old directory layout was - create a setup that you believe is
right.
2) Copy the configuration files over from the old setup. You can see in
the docs/Renaming-430.txt directory what the mapping is between the old and
the new files. There shouldn't be any config files other than those in the
~hobbit/server/etc/ directory, and perhaps some extensions in
~hobbit/server/ext/
3) Change a couple of the clients on the servers you monitor so they send
data to both the old system and the new test system. Just to make sure that
client handling works OK.
4) When you're confident that the new setup works, shutdown the old Hobbit
installation, copy the setup from your virtual server over to the
production system, and everything should work.