[Xymon] bbproxy max server

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Apr 7 07:59:11 CEST 2011

Hi,

> what do you think about increasing the value of MAX_SERVERS from 3 to 5 in bbproxy.c ? What kind of impact can we expect ? If you don't recommend to increase this can we run chained bbproxy ?

I don't think the "3" is some sort of magical number, so the code
wouldn't need any major changes to accomodate a larger number of
destination.

However, you have to consider the time it takes to send data to so many
destinations: Xymonproxy needs to connect to each one of these and
transmit the data, so if you have a large installation (and I guess you
do, if you need to distribute the data to so many Xymon servers) then
that may become an issue and you'll start to see the queue-time in
xymonproxy rising, and perhaps clients starting to drop data because
they cannot connect to the proxy.

> Another point about bbproxy. You recommend to do this config :
> [bbproxy]
>         ENVFILE /opt/hobbit/server/etc/hobbitserver-proxy.cfg
>         CMD $BBHOME/bin/bbproxy --hobbitd --bbdisplay=IP1,IP2,IP3 --report=$MACHINE.bbproxy --no-daemon --pidfile=$BBSERVERLOGS/bbproxy.pid --listen=IP0
>         LOGFILE $BBSERVERLOGS/bbproxy.log
>
> and not this one :
>
> [bbproxy]
>          ENVFILE /opt/hobbit/server/etc/hobbitserver-proxy.cfg
>          CMD $BBHOME/bin/bbproxy --hobbitd --bbdisplay=127.0.0.1:1985,127.0.0.1:1986,127.0.0.1  --report=$MACHINE.bbproxy --no-daemon --pidfile=$BBSERVERLOGS/bbproxy.pid --listen=IP0:1984
>          LOGFILE $BBSERVERLOGS/bbproxy.log
>
> [bbproxyFORWARDER]
>          ENVFILE /opt/hobbit/server/etc/hobbitserver-proxy.cfg
>          CMD $BBHOME/bin/bbproxy --hobbitd --bbdisplay=IP1   --no-daemon --pidfile=$BBSERVERLOGS/bbproxyFORWARDER.pid --listen=127.0.0.1:1985
>          LOGFILE $BBSERVERLOGS/bbproxyFORWARDER.log
>
> [bbproxyDEV]
>          ENVFILE /opt/hobbit/server/etc/hobbitserver-proxy.cfg
>          CMD $BBHOME/bin/bbproxy --hobbitd --bbdisplay=IP2   --no-daemon --pidfile=$BBSERVERLOGS/bbproxyINOFYS.pid --listen=127.0.0.1:1986
>          LOGFILE $BBSERVERLOGS/bbproxyINFOSYS.log

You have different "listen" adresses for the three proxies. Then you do
need to run them as three separate instances.