[xymon] iostat monitor

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 01:30:05 CEST 2010

I could just adopt a dogmatic stance, and say, "My script, my choice". End
of argument!
As true as this may be, all it will do is start a shell Jihad, and the last
thing we need on this list is a religious war.

For a less dogmatic answer, I have found some "inconsistencies" with some
versions of bash and sh which I don't like.
The most annoying one being that variables defined within some looping
constructs are no longer defined once you exit the loop.
But there are others.
That's my logical reason.

The other reason, is my comfort zone.
I worked for Sun Microsystems for a few years, mostly writing scripts to
test the OS components.
To ensure complete portability over our entire fleet (which included Linux
back then) everything was written in ksh.
I got to know it well, and liked it. I am comfortable with it.
I always assert, write your code in whatever you are most comfortable with.

If you want to convert your version to run bash, go for it.
This is the joy of open source.

Regards
    Vernon