[xymon] Where is development going on in SVN?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Mon Sep 6 10:29:00 CEST 2010

On Friday, 3 September 2010 16:07:30 Cade Robinson wrote:
> I have been using xymon compiled from about 6+ months ago.
> I have used the old "hobbitmon" project.

Which version?

> I found some issues with the 4.2 version and tried branches/4.3.0 and
> branches/4.4.0.

There were quite a few bugfixes in 4.2.3, the first version released as xymon.
While 4.3.0 has received some bugfixes that may not be in a released version of
4.3.x, there are still some known bugs that are present in 4.3.0 that are not
present in any 4.2.x release ...

> It looked like 4.3 and 4.4 were mostly the same so I went with 4.4.0.
>
> I found that I needed to patch quite a few files to get things working
> right.
> This was all prior to the hobbit->xymon changes.
>
> Now I was asked to setup another monitoring server and thought I would try
> out the new project.
>
> I was looking at the SVN to see if anything I had to patch was fixed but I
> am confused
> as to where to look for the latest revisions.
>
> Looking at the last few commits it looks like they have been going into
> "trunk".

I think the majority of commits to trunk and 4.4.0 were forward-porting from
4.3.0.

> Looking at revisions it looks like branches/4.4.0 is newer than trunk.

I think this is largely artificial.

> So what is the development area?  "trunk" or "branches"?

Well, that depends. New features will probably go to trunk (some minor ones
may still go to 4.3.0, but we need to try and finalise the features for 4.3.0
so we can get a new beta out). Bugfixes from testing 4.3.0 beta or svn will go
to 4.3.0, and forward-ported if appropriate.

> I want to also see if the patches I created are still needed and if so then
> would like to
> somehow get them into the repo.

I don't think anyone is actively developing on 4.4.0 at present, so I think
target 4.3.0 and we will forward port as appropriate.

Regards,
Buchan