Question about trend graph scaling

Lee, Raymond Raymond.Lee at qwest.com
Tue Oct 26 21:07:39 CEST 2010

Hi all,

When I go to the trend page for a host and then click on a graph to get the 48-hr, 12-day, 48-day, and 576-day graphs, something doesn't look right.

For example, I'm looking at the CPU utilization graphs:
* In the 48-hour graph, I see 2 spikes for "user" this morning that were near 60%.
* In the 12-day graph, those same 2 spikes only go up to about 30%.
* In the 48-day graph, the spikes only go up to about 15%.
* In the 576-day graph, the values hover around 10%.

Furthermore, the legend at the bottom of the graphs shows max values that are lower than what can be seen on the graphs.  I'm seeing the same behavior on the other graphs from the trend page...not just the CPU Utilization graphs.

Is there a problem with the scaling of the y-axis between the graphs over the various timeframes, or am I not understanding the way that RRDTool generates these graphs?  I did notice that if I zoom in from one of the higher level graphs to match a more granular graph, I get the same numbers that I expect in the more granular graph.  For example, in my example above, if I go to the 12-day graph with spikes at 30% and zoom in to just the last 48 hours, the graph looks the same as the 48-hour graph with the spikes at 60%.

Thanks,
Ray

prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication