[xymon] ESX 4.1

Thomas Eckert thomas.eckert at IT-Eckert.de
Mon Oct 25 07:49:35 CEST 2010

As Vernon wrote to the list in reply to your post installing a
xymon-/hobbit-client on the ESX-host is not sufficient for monitoring
the ESX. The reason for this is
a) the service-console is just a VM by itself, so there is no way to
monitor the cpu- and memory-consumption of the "bare-metal"
b) the service-console will not be available in post v4.1 ESX-versions
(at least that's announced by VMware)

Personally I havn't looked into SNMP because I had several reports by
people running small to mid-sized ESX installations that it's both
unreliable and reporting incorrect values.

"Vmware-Monitor for Xmyon (VMX)" takes the offical approach recommended
by VMware (and is thus _fully_ supported and not in conflict with
support-contracts, ...): the virtual management assistant vMA (a
pre-built virtual machine with management-tools available from VMware):
	http://www.vmware.com/go/vma4
collects the data. Data-processing is done by a small daemon that
generates the status-messages for Xymon.
Super-short outline how to get your ESX-monitoring up and running with VMX:
1. fetch the vMA from VMware from above url and install it.
2. install a xymon-client on the vMA, rpm available from
	http://staff.telkomsa.net/packages/rhel5/xymon/x86_64/
3. install VMX on vMA (client-extension script) and on the xymon-server
(for data-processing and graphing)

In particular you do not have to install anything on the ESX-hosts.

For more details I've attached the VMX-documentation for your convenience.

All the best,

	Thomas

--