OK to drop IE6 support in 4.3.0 ?

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Oct 22 08:55:08 CEST 2010

I'm having some issues that I'd like a wider input on. So although
there are probably far too many opinions, I am asking this in a
wider audience than just the Xymon developer group.

The current menu-system in Xymon is not quite "Open Source" enough
for some - the licensing has always been a bit unclear (see the README
file in the ~xymon/server/www/menu/ if you doubt that). Therefore
it would be nice to replace it with something else, and the Debian
people have provided a replacement based on CSS and plain HTML 4.

This did break a couple of other things, but I think we have that
sorted out by now.

The only remaining issue is: It doesn't work in Internet Explorer 6.
IE 7, IE 8, Firefox, Konqueror all look fine.

Since IE 7 is ok and this is available for Windows XP, I am mostly
inclined to ignore the problems with IE6. It will be possible to
install the old menu system on top of the new Xymon release, but
it would be an extra download and some manual work to do. But
possible, if you must live with IE 6.

So - would it be OK to do this, and require IE7 as a minimum?