[xymon] Managing who gets alerts - shifts and rotations

Elizabeth Schwartz betsy.schwartz at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 14:25:55 CEST 2010

The native xymon alert config is easier to read than Big Brother but
it doesn't free me up from writing elaborate rules. Right now it takes
****25**** rules to cover our shift changes, and that's just for one
set of alerts.

Look at Monday mornings.  Nadja in Singapore started at 9 pm EST
Sunday night and she's covering until 5:00 am EST.  Sam in England
starts  at 4:00 am EST. The US guys start at 8:00 am EST. So I've got
a rule from 9:00 pm to midnight Sundays, then 12:00-am-4:00 am Monday,
another rule from 4:00am to 5:00 am Monday, and a third rule from 5:00
am to 8:00 am when the US guys start.... it's just endless.  There's
another set for Tuesday-Thursday and then more for Friday, Saturday
and Sunday.

The operations people aren't going to change everyone's schedule just
to make configuring the paging alerts easier! Ideally they should be
able to enter shifts and coverage changes into some sort of sane
interface and have the paging system know what to do.