How do *you* handle Xymon alerts when you are on vacation (holiday in British English)?

Robert Herron robert.herron at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 21:34:58 CEST 2010

Vacation / holiday?  What's that?

But seriously.  Since my Xymon server is a fully capable Linux box, my
hobbit-alerts.cfg sends emailto aliases defined in the /etc/aliases.
If/when someone wants messages disabled for vacation, I just change the
alias to send the message somewhere else.  I like this method as it prevents
needing to make changes to my fairly complex/convoluted hobbit-alerts.cfg
file and an errant update to the hobbit-alerts.cfg could cause alerting to
not work.

I don't use a native SMS gateway and instead use the cell provider's email
to text/SMS gateway.

Robert Herron
robert.herron at gmail.com