[xymon] Can we verify the DNS response

Mike Cavanagh mike at terrapintesting.com
Thu Nov 4 05:03:39 CET 2010

Richand and Vernon.  Thanks for the replies.

Richard, I will look into the concept of a "fake" host entry.  It sounds
like a good workaround.  I am not sure what the testip is for but I will
look into it.  For that matter, not sure if I still need the network
option (comes from BB).  I think I can remove it.  Do not seem to see it
in the Xymon docs.

The entries I presented earlier were not real.  I wanted to keep it
simple to help understand what I was trying to accomplish.  Here is what
I am running on (items changed to protect the innocent).  It seems to be
running correctly, but Xymon has been running for just 2 days so I am
still learning its ins n outs.

BB-Hosts file:

192.168.14.15          bambam.domain.com           # conn network
prtdiag ftp smtp dns=smtp.domain.com

76.x.y.z                  ns1.domain.com                 # noconn
dns=smtp.domain.com

Here are the results from Xymon DNS queries:

For bambam.domain.com

            Service dns on bambam.domain.com is OK (up)
            id: 60029
            flags: qr aa rd ra
            opcode: QUERY
            rcode: NOERROR
            Questions:
                        smtp.domain.com .
            Answers:
                        smtp.domain.com .            86400    A
192.168.11.15
            NS records:
                        domain.com      .              86400    NS
ns1.domain.com.
                        domain.com      .              86400    NS
ns1.domain2.com.
            Additional records:
                        ns1.domain.com  .            86400    A
192.168.14.15
                        ns1.domain2.com.             86400    A
192.168.11.15
            Seconds: 0.098

For ns1.domain.com

        Service dns on ns1.domain.com is OK (up)
        id: 2822
        flags: qr aa rd
        opcode: QUERY
        rcode: NOERROR
        Questions:
                smtp.domain.com .              A
        Answers:
                smtp.domain.com .      86400   A       71.a.b.d
        NS records:
                domain.com      .      86400   NS      ns1.domain2.com.
                domain.com      .      86400   NS      ns1.domain.com.
        Additional records:
                ns1.domain.com  .      86400   A       76.x.y.z
                ns1.domain2.com.       86400   A       71.a.b.c
        Seconds: 0.099

Please drop a note if you see something that is just does not seem
correct.

Thanks,
Mike