[xymon] linux disk space issue

Tom Kauffman tommyk66 at newsguy.com
Wed Nov 3 19:51:48 CET 2010

On Wednesday 03 November 2010 02:16:53 pm Nordquist, Daniel wrote:
> I know this is not related to hobbit but I had a problem where my web pages
> stopped updating and histlogs stopped writing.
>
> I checked my server disk space with df -h and it showed 3.6gb free on my
> root filesystem where hobbit lives.

Try df -i - it sounds like you may have run out of i-nodes.

> I could not run a man page because it couldn't create a temp file.

One of the reasons I never ran hobbit/xymon in the root filesystem - xymon can
create a very large number of small files, and this can eat i-nodes faster
than it eats disk space. Depending on OS and local preference, I'd suggest
making an /opt or /usr//local filesystem with a higher number of i-nodes per
block and run xymon in that filesystem.

> Anyone have any idea why this might have happened?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

Tom