[hobbit] Graphs not working on individual views, but working on trends view

David Baldwin david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au
Thu Mar 11 09:46:57 CET 2010

doctor at makelofine.org wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:31:31 -0800, "Mark Stoltzfus"
> <mark.stoltzfus at pmigroup.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, we just did a forklift upgrade from our old Hobbit servers to two
>> brand new boxes running Xymon 4.2.3, and for the most part, it's been a
>> seemless transition.  We noticed some strange behavior, though, with the
>> graphs.  The graphs under disk, cpu, and memory don't show up, but under
>> trends, they show up just fine.  I took a look at the different
>> shortcuts, and they look very similar to me, with the differences
>> highlighted in red:
>>
>> Link copied from "disk" section:
>> https://monitor.us.corp.pmigroup.com/xymon-cgi/hobbitgraph.sh?host=wal-d
>> dbs-01.us.corp.pmigroup.com&service=disk&graph_width=576&graph_heigh
>> t=120&first=1&count=3&disp=wal%2dddbs%2d01%2eus%2ecorp%2epmigroup%2ecom&
>> graph=hourly&action=selzoom
>>
>> Link copied from "trends" section:
>> https://monitor.us.corp.pmigroup.com/xymon-cgi/hobbitgraph.sh?host=wal-d
>> dbs-01.us.corp.pmigroup.com&service=disk&graph_width=576&graph_heigh
>> t=120&first=1&count=3&disp=wal%2dddbs%2d01%2eus%2ecorp%2epmigroup%2ecom&
>> nostale&color=green&graph=hourly&action=selzoom
>>
>> Any ideas as to what's going on?  I did find some old posts from Henrik
>> about troubleshooting graph generation, but the case he was dealing with
>> there was where the graphs wouldn't generate at all.  In this case, the
>> rrds are all there and the graphs are being generated, just not in all
>> views.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Mark
>>

> Hi,
>
> I got different issue with graphs, but I think my problem should be
> related to your comment :
> " I did find some old posts from Henrik about troubleshooting graph
> generation, but the case he was dealing with there was where the graphs
> wouldn't generate at all."

It's worth checking hobbitgraph.cfg if you have added a number of your
own custom graphs.
The FNPATTERN operator is doing a regexp match, but in some cases the
default pattern definition is very loose.

For example, I'd added a bunch of devmon based system health check
reporting stuff which generated file names like
/var/lib/hobbit/rrd/HOSTNAME/temp.memory11.rrd
These were causing the memory graph to die because it was attempting to
query non-conformant RRDs for the particular graph. Solved by tightening
the regexp definition as below (adding ^ in front, which means the
filename has to start with memory, not just have it as a substring).

[memory]
        FNPATTERN ^memory.(.+).rrd
        TITLE Memory Utilization

Note that the FNPATTERN is not used when deciding if there are any RRD
files to use to display a graph at all on the test status page. It just
seems to glob TEST*.rrd to count the number of files to decide how many
lines to display on the graph for TEST. This is with 4.2.3.

David.

--
David Baldwin - IT Unit
Australian Sports Commission          www.ausport.gov.au

Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport visit http://www.ausport.gov.au

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.