TS - Problem with the alert UP messages?

d.tom.schmitt at L-3com.com d.tom.schmitt at L-3com.com
Wed Jun 30 22:29:50 CEST 2010

I am running 4.3.0-0.beta2 on CentOS 5.4.

I have been writing a smaller output for UP, DOWN, DISABLED for use by
our blackberrys.

Since the blackberry has access to the inside network, it can do an ACK
of a device.

I include a link to a page that they can do the ACK from quickly.

I have a device that answers a ping running for this test.

I have a MAIL and a SCRIPT entry in the hobbit-alerts.cfg file for the
device.

bb-hosts entry:

                128.170.99.99    Tom-Cisco-7940                  # conn

hobbit-alerts.cfg entries:

                HOST=Tom-Cisco-7940  RECOVERED

                                MAIL D.Tom.Schmitt at l-3com.com
REPEAT=365d

SEQUENCE OF EVENTS:

                Unplug the device - DOWN

                DISABLE the device

                Plug in the device - UP

For the MAIL entry - DOWN:   (blank lines removed and the 'See' link
line)

      SUBJECT:  Hobbit [885819] Tom-Cisco-7940:conn CRITICAL (RED)

red  Wed Jun 30 14:13:32 2010 conn NOT ok

Service conn on Tom-Cisco-7940 is not OK : Host does not respond to ping

System unreachable for 2 poll periods (200 seconds)

&red 128.170.7.47 is unreachable

For the MAIL entry - At time of DISABLE:

SUBJECT:  Hobbit Tom-Cisco-7940:conn recovered

red  Wed Jun 30 14:15:33 2010 conn NOT ok

Service conn on Tom-Cisco-7940 is not OK : Host does not respond to ping

System unreachable for 3 poll periods (321 seconds)

&red 128.170.7.47 is unreachable

For the MAIL entry - At time of UP/RESTORAL:

Here is the rub:

      There is no RECOVERED message - already sent for the DISABLE event
above.

      The system never calls MAIL or SCRIPT statements again.

If you don't do the DISABLE, then you get DOWN and UP messages as
expected.

Is this a BUG or a FEATURE L

Can anyone try this on their system to see if I have the problem?

I don't want to work on the source code.

I could start a background job that will watch for a BLUE to green
change and

lookup those to notify in the hobbit-alerts.cfg file and send them a
simple notice:

      XXX is back up at date-time

Any thoughts please!

Thanks in Advance,